GEOL-4700/-5700-016 Spring 2018 Class
"Electron Microprobe Analysis"
This class returns with a NEW electron microprobe (installed in March 2016)!
A course (workshop-like, 4 days total) designed for an in-depth understanding
and use of microanalytical techniques in solid materials (e.g., alloy, ceramics,
glass, minerals). This course will notably cover the following subjects:
- Essential theory on scanning electron microscope and electron microprobe analysis
- Basics on instrument vacuum system, electron gun... and other devices.
- Electron interaction with solid materials, X-ray production...
- Secondary electron (SE) & back-scattered electon (BSE) images, X-ray element mapping...
- Energy and Wavelength Dispersive Spectrometry (EDS / WDS)
>>>>> Check here for more information <<<<<
- Metamorphic petrology: Evolution of mineral assemblage, state of equilibrium, thermobarometry
calculation (TWQ, THERIAK-DOMINO [R. Berman; C. de Capitani] and THERMOCALC [T. Holland & R. Powell]), disequilibrium process.
- Microanalysis, isotope geochemistry: Mineral analysis (major and REE), Ar-Ar geochronology, stable oxygen
isotope analysis on silicates, U-Th-Pb dating of monazite.
- Structural geology: Crystallization-deformation-time relations, vein formation, geological maps.
Dr. Julien M. Allaz
University of Colorado Boulder
2200 Colorado Avenue
Boulder, CO 80309-0399
Phone: +1 (303) 735 2413
Cell phone: +1 (413) 210 0917
Office: 222D || EMPA lab: 125A